Wednesday, March 26, 2008

So why Blog?

If anyone is wondering why I am now blogging, I take a page from C.J. Maheney's playbook and point to what other people have said on the subject. Bob Kauflin in an article on Boundless writes,
"blogs have enabled us to communicate what's in our hearts and minds to anyone in the world who wants to listen. And you can do all of this sitting at home in front of your computer.

If you're reading this, there's a good possibility that you read blogs, comment on blogs, or write one of your own. If you never go near blogs, I wouldn't be too concerned. But for the rest of us, here are some things to keep in mind as we inhabit the blogosphere.

Christians might blog on a variety of topics and for a number of reasons, but they share one common goal:
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31)"

That being said, this is for God's glory. It is not for my fame or a chance to show off how wise I am, but rather to bring a not-so-new perspective on the issues of our world and especially our faith.

Tim Challies also has some thoughts on blogging which I happen to share:

If you write frequently, you’ll soon exhaust all that you know. After all, you have a limited number of stories to tell, a limited store of knowledge to share. So if you want to blog, make sure you are continually challenging yourself in the area you write about. As a Christian, this means that I dedicate myself to the Christian disciplines to ensure that I am continually growing in my knowledge of God as revealed in His Word. It also means that I constantly read good books (and some not-so-good books). These two disciplines provide me with the food for thought that keeps me writing and, most of the time, provides me with topics to write about. I’ve said it often, but I’ll say it again: if I stopped reading the Bible and stopped reading good books, I’d have nothing to say. I’d have to pack it up and move on.
Also:

First, there is good reason that writing and journaling have long been considered important spiritual disciplines. I have found often that I do not really know what I believe about something until I have written about it. Only in writing down my thoughts am I able to press to the furthest extent to learn what I really believe. Writing has become a critical discipline for me and one that tells me much about myself and the state of my heart (Emphasis mine).

Lastly, this blog will be characterized by a love for the lost but not for the world they live in. To quote Justin Taylor, "Jesus said they will know us by our fruit and by our love, and a lot of blogs are failing in that."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. Cool. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Well. Probably. ;)