Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year. The only reason New Years Day gives me cause to celebrate is because it is a testimony to the faithfulness of God to bring me through another year and that January 1st has come again. Really every other reason is arbitrary and resolutions are wasted on me. In my very limited experience, I've found when I get all inspired and fired up for something, like most people are about their resolutions, the experience quickly fades and the day to day takes over, leaving the resolutions forgotten and nothing really all that different. Too many times I've hear a sermon and felt conviction and inspiration to change and too many times I've found myself cursing at the car that cuts me off after church, or falling into lust on Monday morning.

That's why this year I make no resolutions other than to make no resolutions. The Christian life is just that, a life. It isn't about short bursts of “spirituality” but rather a life of committed faithfulness to Christ. The life doesn't require perfection but growth and a true believer will see growth over their life, by God's grace alone. If you live day to day, you may not see a marked difference in your life but you must trust that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion, because the will of God for you life is your sanctification.

So why should we use January first as the date when we start something? We should resolve every day to live for the glory of God, knowing that He is faithful, even when we are not. We will not be perfect, we will not always see the growth but trust is an everyday choice and His mercies are new EVERY morning.

May God Bless 2011

No comments: